Thursday 5 April 2012

Further notes on Slackware 13.1 upgrade

I said in the previous post that I forgot to download the new kernels, which was incorrect. They are included in one of the packages.

Thunderbird would no longer open links in a web browser. I managed to follow the instructions here to fix the problem:

In Thunderbird go to "Edit --> Preferences --> Advanced" in the Thunderbird menus and click on the "Config Editor" button.

Search for the following three entries:
network.protocol-handler.warn-external.http
network.protocol-handler.warn-external.https
network.protocol-handler.warn-external.ftp
Set the value of each of these three entries to true (you can do this by double-clicking on each entry)


I have no idea why it is so obscure.

Another problem I had was that Ctrl-Alt-Del would now reboot instead of shutting down. I had executed the script in the upgrade instructions to use all the new configuration files. I fixed the problem by using the old configuration file:

bash #diff inittab inittab.bak
36c36
< ca::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -t5 -r now
---
> ca::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -t5 -h now
bash #mv inittab.bak inittab

No comments:

Post a Comment